Saturday, May 5, 2012

Life traces - first word dump

Here's a start. This image had been playing in my head all yesterday afternoon. It grew more detailed as I interrogated it mentally. This 'poem' isn't yet about words - just a brain-dump collection i made last night, in bed, trying to describe the image, and capture a concept. The text below is completely unedited! 


I dragged your dead body from a dream today
More an image
A picture that comes unbidden.
There you were, your head hovering near my feet the rest of you projecting away with an exaggerated perspective
No feet - too far
upon inspection
Your insides were empty
The onion skin thin shellac brown cask
A cicadas husk transparent each line of you
Traced perfectly as filigree
Inside, the wind, the perfect negative of where you once were
You: your organs bones viscera intestines muscles cartilage blood bile nerves arteries veins.
But also your soul.
This too had stayed behind in my dream
Before me, intact, lay just your epidermal mask
Translucent
Infinitely light
Veined like a dried ginkgo leaf or
The pleasurable pulled off layer of glue
A child has allowed to dry on her hand
Infinitely thin
But in the emptiness formed by this cask
I realized it wasn't just you
This trace of your skin was holding my father's ghost
Larger than you, his ghost scaled down to fit in the space of you with comfort.
His eyes closed as in his casket
His arms crossed in front.
Dressed in one of his beautiful suits, perfection in eternity.

dancing on this were the projection memory images of every man between
Merging together
Appearing disappearing
As does a projection on smoke.
Only your spirit stayed away
But of course
You aren't dead yet
This perfect replica of a container for you
That lay before me
was the cicada husk of my desire

I laid it to rest, as i know i should.
Goodbye undead.
Goodbye Baba.
Goodbye undead.


Before me now, my pink, warm,
Sleep breathing son. Long live life

No comments:

Post a Comment