Monday, July 2, 2012

Dear Pablo, sonnet from object-subject: draft 1

I don’t love you as if you were a rose of salt, topaz,   
or arrow of carnations that propagate fire:   
I love you as one loves certain obscure things,   
secretly, between the shadow and the soul. 

One Hundred Love Sonnets: XVII
Pablo Neruda
Translated Mark Eisner.  http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poem/179257/


And I love him Pablo as one loves the colorless, failure and doubt;
The gaping impossibility of oceans that cleave
Abandoned motherland and American son; my love
A child's grasp and claw at an unwanted sibling's entry.

And yet I love him as a lion's roar lacerates
The sky in fleshly signals of lust and feast.
Laughing at futility, denying denials
Stealing the gift with peals of joyous hope.

Sand at low tide neither sea nor land
Just there, waiting for water's return.
I love him unheard, as an obscure thing,
Unseen between shadow and soul.
So distant my pulse drowns in passage
So distant our touch is misplaced.



No comments:

Post a Comment