Friday, April 20, 2012

Three verses for U

1. Breathless

Oh you. You who, you
Who took my wind so,
So my hollowed breast echoes
Echoes so
So my wings won't fly.
Blow
Blow through
Through my chest. You
You who flew with me
Oh You
Breathe me to the divine.


2.
Though you fled, it seems my soul snagged on you, and as you fly further it unravels in infinitesimal glint,
spiraling your soar in a white love whisper, keeping you close.

or:
You Fled.
It seems my soul snagged on you
Fly further.
Unravelling in infinitesimal glint
Spiraling your soar in
White love whisper,
Keeping
You close

3.
In the middle of the night I cry out,
Who lives in this love I have?
You say, I do, but I am not here alone.
Who are these other images with me?
I say, They are reflections of you,
just as the beautiful inhabitants of Chigil in Turkestan
resemble each other.
You say, But who is this other living being?
That is my wounded soul.
Then I brought that soul before you as a prisoner.
This one is dangerous, I say.
Do not let him off easy.
You wink and give me one end of a delicate thread.
Pull it tight, but do not break it.
I reach my hand to touch you.
You strike it down.
Why are you so harsh with me?
For good reason.
But certainly not to keep you away.
Whoever enters this place saying, Here I am
must be stopped.
This is not a pen for sheep.
There are no separating distances here.
This is love's sanctuary.
Saladin is how the soul looks.
Rub your eyes, and look again with love at love.


Rumi. trans. C. Barks.

No comments:

Post a Comment