Wednesday, April 25, 2012

VIsiting Poet I: Christina Liu

Dearest friend, thank you for giving me this poem to post. I'll read it often - for enjoyment, but mostly to learn. 


Ophelia in Stasis


I won't imagine how long she's
been there -- in silver river,
or a bathtub,
with her head bent back
against the hard, white marble,
or fingertips slipping along
the edge of flood.
I'll try to imagine her body's
movements now, swept along
with the currents and eddies,
her hair seaweed waving for sailors,
her own sailor, never to come again.
She must move now
as she did in life -- flowing
with whatever wind and words
whispered in her ear,
with scarcely an afterthought,
propelled, always, by another's
momentum, by the sword
and thrust of another's words.
She could be ageless,
but most likely,
she's a girl; her limbs
are slender and white.
I would see the pronounced clavicle,
her throat opening to night.
Over and over, her drowned form,
this silenced transgression,
has been linked to waterlilies,
crowned by flowers and reeds,
surrounded by small, golden fish.
Captured in words and frozen
by the master's eye.
But I dream her core sometimes
as a red fist
ready to awake.
Shaking off the clinging flowers,
ready to eat the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment